Socializing is an irreplaceable part of our lives. No matter how hard we try to avoid it, we find ourselves in the middle of one every now and then. Be it, friends, family, or office, people will be there and we want them to respect and look up to us.
In this post, I will be sharing with you how I increase my social value and you can do it too.
- Speak only when required and mean what you say: You’ve heard that a million times and you’ll hear this again, “We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak”. This statement hits the bull’s eye. The more you speak, the more you’ll lose your social value. It’s not a job interview or a mock test where you have to prove your knowledge on every topic. Speaking less and only when required will add weight to your words. People will wait for you to speak as they know that whatever you’ll say will have a purpose. Hence, increase your social value. Also, mean exactly what you say to avoid misunderstanding and wasting energy on clearing things out. Explaining yourself portrays you as insecure. You know that, right? So, avoid this mess by simply speaking only when required. “The smarter you are, the less you speak.”
- Do not give unsolicited advice: This is no different than the previous point. The worst thing you can do to your self-respect is to give unsolicited advice and end up being ignored. Not to forget that it hurts too. You don’t want that for yourself, do you? Give advice only when asked for and shut up when you’ve made your point. Continuing explaining the thing that they’ve already understood will annoy your listener and make them wait for you to stop speaking, another damage to your importance. So, it’s better to stay away from giving unsolicited advice. “Unsolicited advice is the junk mail of life.”
- Value your time and others too: Nothing decreases one’s social value than the person not being mindful about the importance of their time and others. People who are well in control of their schedule and manage their time properly come out as poise and are respected by society too. There are certain ways you can achieve that. One of them being punctuality. Reach on time, and plan things ahead. This will save you a lot of last-minute confusion. It’s okay to make them wait with their gossip when you’re busy publishing your final report. It will only show that you value your time and make them respect you more in return. You only have 24 hours and so do they. Learn to manage them accordingly.“If you want to be regarded as a valuer of life, then first value time.”
- Learn to say no: Have you ever found yourself stuck in an unwanted situation doing the things you don’t like, just because you couldn’t say no to someone? Don’t worry. We all have been there. It’s one of the biggest reasons that make a person lose their importance and be taken for granted. Of course, you don’t have to say no to everything. I won’t recommend that. In fact, never lose an opportunity to help someone in need. But, do not put yourself in trouble by doing others a “favor”. Remember the last point? Your time is valuable. Manage it accordingly. “You can be a good human with a kind heart, and still say no to things.”
- Keep your words: Let’s be honest, nobody likes a person who breaks their promises. What happens is that we make huge promises in the heat of the moment and fail to keep them when the time comes. It jeopardizes our social value as well as the relationship we have with the person we made a promise to. One of the easiest ways of doing is to stop making promises that include words like never and forever. People grow, they change, and so will you. Making promises of forever and not being able to keep it or saying never and then doing it will prove that you don’t actually mean what you say. Save yourself the trouble and only make the promises you can keep.“When you say you will do something and don’t do it, you teach others (including yourself) that you cannot be trusted.”
- Set boundaries: Don’t want calls after 9 PM? Cool. Don’t want anyone to invade your personal life? Okay. Anything you’re uncomfortable with. Let them know, you have your boundaries that you won’t be breaking for them or anyone else for that matter. Doing this will send them a message that you know you’re worth and won’t let anyone mistreat you. This will not only increase your social value but, also make them addicted to your personality.“Honour yourself by honoring your boundaries.”
Remember that the way people treat you is always in your hand.